NEW PROJECT – Open Library Search

Category: | Posted on:February 25, 2024
open library search results

Added another API fetching project, Open Library Search. The app pings the Internet Archive‘s Open Library Search API to retrieve author, publication, purchase, and topic data for a user-provided book title.


My goal is to continue cranking out simple fetch projects until I can do them without relying on a crutch. I used my previous Public APIs List project to pick out the topic for this one. Open Library Search API provides a lot of data to work with in a mix of strings and arrays that provided an opportunity to diversify the formatting of the data.


I’m settling into a pattern of establishing states for data, error, and loading right out of the gate. I also created a query state to capture the user’s input, then tied the data fetching function to a useEffect() hook with query as a dependency so that the search would fire each time the user submits a new title.

I almost got try/catch down blind, but I forgot to make my fetch asynchronous initially.

In my Public API List project I didn’t bother with Enter key functionality, but this time I added it. It’s more convenient for testing and I should make it a habit.


This went pretty smoothly and I didn’t encounter any major roadblocks. I do have a problem remembering array methods, however, and that’s a weakness I’m looking to overcome. This project required the use of several that I always forget about until I Google them. The fetch API is another area where I still need to reference syntax, but at this point I always know what I want to do and what’s needed.


I got to practice checking and handling array data with more depth than my past project. I got to use isArray(), .slice(), and .join(). I think I fully get props now and had no trouble passing data down through my components. The .map() method has clicked too. I just need to remember not to forget to add a  currentValue and index to the function inside.

Related Logs

  • NEW PROJECT – Catholic Liturgical Date Checker

    May 29, 2024

    The Liturgical Date Checker project uses the Liturgical Calendar API to display information about Catholic Holy days. On page load it fetches info for today, tomorrow, and yesterday. It also has a search field that will return celebration info about a specific date. Objective This is just more basic API practice. I started this in […]

    Continue Reading
  • NEW PROJECT – Logo Finder

    March 7, 2024

    As part of my React API practice, I built a dirt simple Logo Finder using Clearbit’s Logo API. Simply enter a web domain, and the app will retrieve a logo image. Objective This is the third in a series of simple API fetching apps that I’ve built so far this year after the Public API’s […]

    Continue Reading
  • UPDATE – Public APIs List Functionality

    February 15, 2024

    There are several new enhancements to the Public APIs List project. Hide CORS APIs I added a checkbox at the top that will filter out any APIs that require CORS headers in order to fetch them. It was the first additional feature that came to mind as I was evaluating the available keys in the […]

    Continue Reading