UPDATE – Game Picker UX Enhancement

Category: | Posted on:September 15, 2021

I’ve furthered the UX enhancement to the Game Picker 9000. First I centered the loader and positioned it below the title output container. Previously it was jammed on top with no padding. If you searched more than once, the loader popped in awkwardly. The new alignment is more pleasing. I also added the player’s username to the introductory text over the game selection. It’s a minor aesthetic change, but it enabled me to get deeper into the API’s functionality. Then I hit another wall…

UX Enhancement Hurdles

This time, I dug into the GetPlayerSummaries method, which returns player profile data like the handle, avatars, and profile URL. So now I’m performing two different API calls, one to GetOwnedGames and one to GetPlayerSummaries. I’m not sure if it’s possible to combine the calls. The data is quite compartmentalized.

I’d like to be able to let people search by their handle rather than their Steam ID. The numbers are obnoxious and impossible to remember offhand. Upon investigating the Steam Web API further, however, it appears you always need the ID first before you can get at the API that contains the handle or “personaname” as Steam calls it. I may just need to do more reading, but at this point I’m a bit stumped.

Related Logs

  • NEW PROJECT – Catholic Liturgical Date Checker

    May 29, 2024

    The Liturgical Date Checker project uses the Liturgical Calendar API to display information about Catholic Holy days. On page load it fetches info for today, tomorrow, and yesterday. It also has a search field that will return celebration info about a specific date. Objective This is just more basic API practice. I started this in […]

    Continue Reading
  • NEW PROJECT – Logo Finder

    March 7, 2024

    As part of my React API practice, I built a dirt simple Logo Finder using Clearbit’s Logo API. Simply enter a web domain, and the app will retrieve a logo image. Objective This is the third in a series of simple API fetching apps that I’ve built so far this year after the Public API’s […]

    Continue Reading
  • NEW PROJECT – Open Library Search

    February 25, 2024

    Added another API fetching project, Open Library Search. The app pings the Internet Archive‘s Open Library Search API to retrieve author, publication, purchase, and topic data for a user-provided book title. Objective My goal is to continue cranking out simple fetch projects until I can do them without relying on a crutch. I used my […]

    Continue Reading